Thursday, June 28, 2012

Since Yosemite: A Summary

Monday, 6.25: Lee Vining to Bootleg CG (near Walker, CA), 48 miles. 395 forever, first it goes by the Mono Lake bit that's familiar to me, then it climbs into the Sierras after Bridgeport. When we descended to the campground in some trout-filled river's canyon, the wind was crazy. We set up camp early and thought it would be a good night for s'mores, so I biked the 8 or so miles down to Walker for groceries. Tailwind down, headwind that kept blowing me off the road on the trek up. Luckily some kind fishermen gave me and my bike a lift to the campground when they saw me struggling. Thanks, fishermen! After my grocery run, Perrin and I went for a nice, hilly run on the dirt roads nearby, just 22 minutes or so.

Tuesday, 6.26: Bootleg to Kit Carson (near Woodfords, CA), 53 miles. Beasted Moniter Pass in the morning (5000' to 8400' in 9 miles). Then descended quickly to Markleeville for lunch, and down to Woodfords and halfway up Luther Pass to camp in a pretty little Aspen grove. Hope Valley Cafe near our camp had Steelhead on tap. It was probably the tastiest beer I've ever had. And Lisa the Baker's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were to die for. We saw some cyclists on the road who were training for some "death ride" that involves riding up Moniter Pass twice, and some other challenges. Lisa said the death riders like her cookies, too. Of course they do.

Wednesday, 6.27: Kit Carson to Kaspian CG (Tahoe), 40ish miles. Knocked out Luther Pass fairly early (after coffee and breakfast at Hope Valley - luxurious!), then took advantage of the civilization surrounding Tahoe (bike shop, groceries, pharmacy). Tahoe is pretty and Perrin made tasty curry (see previous post).

Thursday, 6.28: Tahoe to Graeagle, 67 miles. Quick ride to Truckee (cool town), French toast, parted ways. I then continued toward Graeagle, mostly descending with a couple bumps. Near Sierraville, I chatted with a fellow bicycle tourist who was riding the SC route from the CA/OR border to Woodfords, then taking the Western Express route to San Francisco. We exchanged tips for our respective roads ahead. He reminded me of warmshowers.org, and I looked to see if I have any prospective hosts through that between here and Bend. Looks like I might be giving it a shot tomorrow in Chester. Awesome!

Pics: Mono Basin, beer, and s'mores!




No comments:

Post a Comment