UPDATE:
I realize I left yesterday with a bit of a cliff-hanger: "Oh, no!" Are Perrin and Stephanie going to perish into some Krakauer-esque blizzard?
No... I was merely uncomfortably cold.
Here's what happened:
Yesterday was our longest day yet, and it ended with our longest climb yet: 12 mi gaining 3000 ft. Upon reaching the campgrounds, Stephanie and I both needed a shower, which was fine. Our mistake was taking them at the same time.
During the shower:
*suspicious sounds of me panting/ hyperventilating*
After the shower:
Perrin: Stephanie, what temperature was your water?
Stephanie: Warm? Not hot, but it was fine.
Perrin: Oh....
Mine was freezing. The shower water warmed up only briefly-- for about 30 seconds-- giving me hope enough to start lathering my hair. But then back to the same old iciness, and I had shampoo to wash out of my hair. I ended up borrowing loads of clothing from Steph but still never quite warmed, even in my sleeping bag. I think being tired reduced my ability to regulate body temperature.
I didn't even eat dinner, save some ramen chicken broth Steph made for me, as doing so would require leaving my pile of layers in the tent. Part of The Great Chill was my fault-- I bought a non-brand sleeping bag even knowing it was a bad idea. Sure, my then-bf eagle scout DHaas said it would be okay, but I should have known better. It just didn't cut the chilly mountain night.
No comments:
Post a Comment